Designing our homes takes a lot of effort, from landscaping ideas to full-scale room makeovers, there exists an endless selection of Do-It-Yourself projects and ideas all across the home improvement forums. You might even find it difficult to rid yourself of renovation ideas with just how many there are possible to do now!
Among the most notable home improvement projects go to gardening, with the amount of detail and uniqueness you can achieve with plants and flowers, it’s a natural head-turner and choice for many people. Not only does it add finesse to your home exterior, but you also get a sustainable source of fresh veggies if you choose.
However, gardening doesn’t have to be limited to the outdoors. With the rise of urban gardening, the prospect of bringing that green thumb inside is growing ever so popular. On that note, let us introduce you to the growing trend of indoor herb gardens, and why you should add one to your home this very instant!
Inexpensive and Simple
Number one on our list of benefits is how affordable and uncomplicated it can be to set up. While we do applaud all forms of home improvement, from total house makeovers to building multi-sports courts, there is nothing wrong with starting small. Especially if you’re one a tighter budget, you can’t afford to splurge your cash on more significant projects.
All an indoor herb garden needs are the herbs themselves, and all that takes is either getting it from a friend, visiting a local store, or maybe even ordering it online. As for potting options, you can let your creativity run wild and see what unused items fit the criteria. Of course, buying is also an option.
Number two is all the freshly grown herbs you’ll be harvesting from this garden. No longer will you need to add them to your shopping list because everything you need can be quickly taken from the plants you’re growing back at home. You also gain the security of knowing that your herbs are safe and all-natural.
On top of that, there are plenty of herbs you can grow all-year-round, giving you flexibility and options in what you choose to grow. And among the following are our suggestions that make perfect additions to any dish you decide to whip up:
- Parsley: easy to grow and available all-year-round, Parsley is an absolute staple in any indoor herb garden. You can use it as a garnish on nearly everything and even as a base for some dishes. It’s also rich in antioxidants and critical nutrients.
- Oregano: rich in antioxidants and antibacterial properties, Oregano is a must-have for any indoor herb garden. You can use it as a garnish, for stuffings, and more. It’s a very flexible herb that can match your dishes.
- Rosemary: on top of perfecting your chicken dishes, Rosemary also smells lovely and can clear up your kitchen of any foul smell. Again, it’s rich in antioxidants and helps with digestion.
Functions As a Great Design
Number three, an indoor herb garden, looks great, improves a room’s overall aesthetic, and adds personality to your decor. While you might encounter some minor problems setting up and growing your herbs, the entire process offers so much value back to design. A bland kitchen or living room can instantly change with the addition of natural and functional greens.
You also get a variety of your garden design options, giving you greater control over the achieved look. And among the following are some choices you can go with:
- Shelves: nothing beats a good-old shelf style herb garden. Its vintage and rustic look adds detail, and the stackable feature gives you more room to add herbs. Whether free-standing or attached to a wall, this is a design that works with everything.
- Window Gardens: no one can deny the beauty of window herb gardens. It places your plants in direct sunlight, adds life to those window seals, and fully utilizes the space.
- Hanging: If you want to go for a more futuristic look, then we strongly urge you to go for hanging indoor herb gardens. The concept of having them reach down from the ceiling is unique and makes your house feel more down to earth.
Don’t Pass Up the Opportunity!
Overall, adding an indoor herb garden is a simple, affordable, yet extremely beneficial home project to take up. And if you’re looking to get your feet wet into home improvement, let this be your baby steps to do more renovations and remodeling in the future. Apart from all the fresh herbs, this simple DIY is sure to improve any room’s design. So, don’t pass up the opportunity, and you might even find out that you have a knack for gardening!